The Panther Lair board of Northern Forest Exchange (Note: Board is 18+)

HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog in

Share | 

music of Gor

Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: music of Gor   Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:43 pm

music of Gor
Cymbals There are various sorts similar to the ones found on earth.

"...a younger one, who sat very seriously before what appeared to me to be a pile of objects; among them cymbals of various sorts."
-Nomads of Gor
"Attached to the thumb and index finger of each hand were tiny finger cymbals."
-Tarnsman of Gor

Czehar Musical instrument consisting of a flat, oblong box, having 8 strings, it is held across the lap when sitting cross-legged and is played with a horn pick; similar to a Japaniese koto
"One of the instruments was an eight-stringed czehar, rather like a large flat oblong box; it is held across the lap when sitting cross-legged and is played with a horn pick."
-Nomads of Gor
Flute Same as an Earth flute and the players always keep them polished
"The three flutists were polishing their instruments and talking together; it was shop talk I gathered, because one or the other would stop to illustrate some remark by a passage on his flute, and then one of the others would attempt to correct or improve on what he had done; occasionally their discussion grew heated."
-Nomads of Gor
Kalika "The other was the kalika, a six-stringed instrument; it, like the czehar, is flat-bridged and its strings are adjusted by means of small wooden cranks; on the other hand, it less resembles a low, flat box and suggests affinities to the banjo or guitar, though the sound box is hemispheric and the neck rather long; it, too, of course, like the czehar, is plucked."
-Nomads of Gor
Kaska A small hand drum
"To one side, across a clearing from the 'fire, a bit in the background, was a group of nine musicians. They were not as yet playing, though one of them was absently tapping a rhythm on a small hand drum, the kaska."
-Nomads of Gor
Notched Stick Played by sliding a polished tem-wood stick across its surface.
"..a younger one, who sat very seriously before what appeared to me to be a pile of objects; among them was a notched stick, played by sliding a polished tem-wood stick across its surface."
-Nomads of Gor
Tabor
"This is a small hand drum; it's drumhead is made of verrskin. The tension is adjusted by tightening or loosening small pegs around it's perimeter."
-Explorers of Gor
Tamborine Bits of metal on wires; gourds filled with pebbles and slave bells mounted on hand rings
"...a younger one, who sat very seriously before what appeared to me to be a pile of objects; among them was what was obviously a tambourine; ; and several other instruments of a percussion variety, bits of metal on wires, gourds filled with pebbles, slave bells mounted on hand rings, and such."
-Nomads of Gor
Zills These are the same os the finger cymbals
"Attached to the thumb and index finger of each hand were tiny finger cymbals."
-Tarnsman of Gor

=Quotes=

"I have never seen a bowed instrument on Gor; also, I might mention, I have never on Gor seen any written music; I do not know if a notation exists; melodies are passed on from father to son, from master to apprentice."
-Nomads of Gor

"Among Gorean musicians, incidentally, czehar players have the most prestige; there was only one in this group, I noted, and he was their leader; next follow the flutists and then the players of the kalika; the players of the drums come next; and the farthest fellow down the list is the man who keeps the bag of miscellaneous instruments, playing them and parceling them out to others as needed. Lastly it might be mentioned, thinking it is of some interest, musicians on Gor are never enslaved; they may, of course, be exiled, tortured, slain and such; it is said, perhaps truly, that he who makes music must, like the tarn and the Vosk gull, be free."
-Nomads of Gor

"It was customary to find diversions other than Paga in the Paga Taverns as well, but in gray Tharna the cymbals, drums and flutes of the musicians, the clashing of bangles on the ankles of dancing girls would be unfamiliar sounds."
-Outlaw of Gor
Back to top Go down

music of Gor
Page 1 of 1